Agatha Christie will always be the Queen of mystery. I haven’t read it in YEARS, probably since high school. I remembered the perpetrator but had forgotten all the details. Just absolutely brilliant. If you’ve never read it, I can’t recommend it highly enough! #readathon #Dewey
A beautiful novel by Lisa Carey, and my first finished book of the Readathon!!!
Full of beauty and magic. Set on an island off the west coast of Ireland. The island and the sea were so vivid and richly described, they were characters themselves.
…is The Stolen Child, by Lisa Carey. I’ve already been reading it, so I thought it would be a good choice to kick off the Readathon! It’s wonderful so far, set in Ireland in the late 1950s, on a little island off the west coast, when a woman from America, Brigid, arrives. She’s looking for the well of St. Brigid, known for its miracle cures. But while she’s looking, she’s finding so much more.
Plus, there’s fairy lore and magic. And it’s set in Ireland!!!!
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Iowa City, Iowa!
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Grilled cheese sandwiches!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I’m a librarian and I have 3 cats.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? Try to stay up longer
If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
Tomorrow is Readathon Day!!! For those of us in CDT, Dewey’s 24-Hour Reading Marathon begins at 7am.; it starts at the same time wherever you are in the world. You can visit http://www.24hourreadathon.com to check the start time in your area, to sign up to read, and get info on this wonderful event!
Here is my TBR pile for tomorrow:
I’m incredibly angry and upset about TOI (The Orange Idiot) and his executive order barring people admittance to the U.S. from 7 countries that are strongly Muslim and could possibly be harboring terrorists.
Although the several countries in the middle east that were not on the list are the countries where terrorists have come from that have hurt U.S. citizens. But TOI has business dealings there. Huh
And the 7 countries currently barred have not generated any terrorists that have killed Americans.
Apparently TOI has forgotten that ALL Americans are either immigrants or descended from immigrants. Including himself.
Everyone who is American is from another country. EVERYONE. Whether that was a year ago or 300 hundred years ago. We are all immigrants. America is a melting pot of people from all over the world. Last I checked, that was one of the reasons why America is an exceptional country.
Personally, I am of two extremes. My mother is an immigrant. My father’s family has been here for hundreds of years. I am half first generation and half been here since before the Revolutionary War.
I’m incredibly proud of both sides of me. But, regardless, both sides were immigrants at some point.
We need to remember that.
Currently reading History of Wolves. It’s so good so far!!! Love the author’s use of language.
…..BUT THE CUBS JUST WON THE PENNANT!!!!!!!!!
I’m a little verklempt and have no attention span other than listening to people talk about the Cubs.
Hoping to read a little soon!
1. What are you reading right now? Illuminae, by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
2. How many books have you read so far? 1
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? All of them??
4. Have you had many interruptions? I didn’t start reading until early afternoon because of planned things and mom-daughter errands! How did you deal with those? No worries!
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? I’m surprised that I’m balancing the reading and challenges and postings as well as I am! 🙂